Kid’s RCT – how long does a baby root canal take
Kid’s RCT or baby root canals are specialized dental procedures to save and restore milk teeth in your child. They are essentially of two types – pulpotomy and pulpectomy. A baby root canal is indicated when the milk teeth are grossly decayed, severely infected, or damaged. It becomes critical to address the pain and prevent the spread of infection.
The most common question asked from us is how long does a baby root canal take. There are several factors on which the duration depends. In the information provided below, we will briefly discuss the steps along with the factors determining how long does a baby root canal take – brought to you by World Smiles Dental Center.
What is a baby root canal – how long does a baby root canal take
Our teeth comprise three layers, and the innermost layer is called the pulp, which contains the nerves and blood vessels. When the milk teeth get infected, the involvement of the pulp leads to severe pain, and a baby root canal is a procedure done to relieve that pain. If not done timely, the infection may spread from the tooth to the surrounding areas. A baby root canal is a procedure to save the milk teeth until their natural time of shedding. The early shedding of baby teeth can lead to crowding in the permanent teeth due to their changed eruption path.
The procedure of a baby root canal
- The first and foremost step of a baby root canal is the clinical and radiological assessment of the teeth involved.
- Our team of kid’s specialists at World Smiles Dental Center will first evaluate the condition of the tooth to determine the eligibility for a baby root canal.
- It is crucial to determine the extent of infection and know the exact status of tooth development. Once the diagnosis is made, a customized treatment plan is formulated for your child.
- The next step is anesthetizing the tooth to ensure the child is comfortable throughout the procedure.
- After making the teeth numb, the infected portion of the teeth is removed, and the teeth are cleaned thoroughly.
- Once the cleaning is complete, the tooth is filled with a biocompatible material and planned for dental crowns.
Factors affecting the duration – how long does a baby root canal take
Complexity of the case
The complexity of the case is the most critical factor determining the duration of a kid’s root canal treatment. The severity of infection plays a crucial role in determining the total duration. The more severely infected a tooth, the more time it will take to complete cleaning.
If your child fears dental treatments, it will take longer to make him comfortable. Therefore, the root canals for kids are planned in the afternoon session when the child is usually not very energetic, and our team also ensures that there are few other patients during that time.
A clinician’s expertise is vital in determining the total duration of a kid’s RCT. We have a team of kid’s dental specialists who are proficient in handling all kinds of children’s behavior and dental problems. Our team is specially trained in behavior management skills to keep your child calm throughout the process.